Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas filled with laughter and happiness.
It was Tuesday the 5th October 1976 and Albion were riding high in Division 3. They had a useful side at the time and were on the rise and only three years away from making it to the old Division 1.
The attendance for the match was 14,204 which was not bad considering the wet conditions,
The first half was dull and ended 0-0, it was a dire performance from both sides and the atmosphere was very down. People were starting to leave, they had obviously had enough, were wet and bored, so called it a night. Estimates at the time were that about 4000 left because the east terrace became very empty and there seemed to be loads of room as the second half began.
Then it happened
In the 56th minute, Brighton scored! They then scored 6 more in the next 28 minutes winning 7-0.
The scorers in the game were Peter Ward who scored four, and Ian Mellor who scored three. The Brighton side were Peter Grummitt; Ken Tiler; Harry Wilson; Brian Horton; Andy Rollings; Graham Cross; Gerry Fell; Peter Ward; Ian Mellor; Steve Piper; Peter O’Sullivan; Dennis Burnett (sub).
Brighton and Hove Albion managers from 1901 to the present day.
1901 John Jackson
1905 Frank Scott-Walford
1908 John Robson
1919 Charles Webb
1947 Tommy Cook
1947 Don Welsh
1951 Billy Lane
1961 George Curtis
1963 Archie Macaulay
1968 Freddie Goodwin
1970 Pat Saward
1973 Brian Clough
1974 Peter Taylor
1976 Alan Mullery
1981 Mike Bailey
1982 Jimmy Melia
1983 Chris Cattlin
1986 Alan Mullery
1987 Barry Lloyd
1993 Liam Brady
1995 Jimmy Case
1996 Steve Gritt
1998 Brian Horton
1999 Jeff Wood
1999 Micky Adams
2001 Peter Taylor
2002 Martin Himshelwood
2002 Steve Coppell
2003 Mark McGhee
2006 Dean Wilkins
2008 Micky Adams
2009 Russell Slade
2009 Gus Poyet
2013 Oscar Garcia
2014 Sami Hyypiä
2014 Chris Hughton
2019 Graham Potter
2022 Roberto De Zerbi
The Goldstone Ground once stood in a residential area along the opposite Hove Park. It was home of Brighton and Hove Albion for 95 years before it was demolished for a retail park.
How it started in 1901
At the turn of the century the site was owned by Goldstone Farm and was used for grazing land for cattle. John Clark leased the site from the Stanford estate and offered the ground to the amateur Hove Football Club for the 1901-02 season.
Clark spent £600 on an eight-foot perimeter fence, with turnstiles in the north-west and south-east corners, plus a covered stand for 400 spectators with changing-rooms. In return for a three-year lease, the football club would pay £100 per annum plus 50 per cent of gate receipts over £200 each season.
The first ever football match at the Goldstone was between Hove FC and Clapton on the 7th September 1901. Brighton and Hove Albion were playing at the nearby County Cricket Ground, and as their pitch was unavailable, they approached Hove FC to use the Goldstone and went on to defeat Southampton Wanderers 7-1 in a friendly on the 22nd of February 1902. The Hove FC committee realised that gate money alone was insufficient to pay the rent, so in the summer they approached Albion with a view to sharing the ground. The Albion accepted, and moved from the County Ground in time for the 1902-03 season.
The Albion takes sole charge
At a supporter’s meeting at the Royal Pavilion in April 1904, Hove FC opted for a return to Hove Rec. leaving the Albion to sign a seven-year lease with Alderman Clark as sole tenants of the ground for £250 per year.
The Albion’s board of directors began making improvements to the ground. A wooden stand was purchased and was erected behind the south goal. Stretching the length of the goal-line, it seated 1,800 spectators. To the north of the West Stand were several hundred open-air bench seats. The east banking was also improved and new turnstiles and entrances were built.
First World War
During the First World War, a rifle range was built on the ground. A number of representative rugby union matches were played to generate funds for wartime relief. By the time the war was over, the Goldstone Ground was in a terrible state. A supporters’ meeting at Hove Town Hall carried a motion for renovation “with an enthusiasm that defies description in cold print.” £1,974 was raised. The South Stand was virtually rebuilt, the West Stand was partly re-seated, and the small terraces then existing were remodelled.
A 99 year lease
In 1920 and for cost of £720, the West Stand was extended northward to provide cover for another 300 seats, with new dressing-rooms, offices and a boardroom also installed. The board invested into the Goldstone. In September 1926, after several years of negotiations, Chairman Charles Brown reached agreement with John Clark for the purchase of the remaining five years of his lease from the Stanfords. The club signed a 99-year lease with the Stanford estate, with an option to purchase the freehold outright during the next eight years.
There were two conditions on the sale, though: that no structure on the eastern side would project above the boundary fence, and that no structure could exceed a height of 50 feet. Nevertheless, the purchase of the freehold did proceed in the summer of 1930 when the club obtained a mortgage on the ground and paid the outstanding £5,120 16s. to the Stanford estate.
In 1930 further works were carried out on the West Stand and more terracing was added to the top of the East Bank and behind the north goal. The latter works preceded the construction of the first North Stand, a simple roof covering the rear part of the terrace and about three-quarters of its width. Inaugurated in January 1931, the stand cost £1,325 which was wholly met by the Supporters’ Club over a number of years.
Second World War damage
The Goldstone suffered bomb damage in the summer of 1942 when a German bomb exploded at the western end of the North Stand, severely damaging the roof and girders. The roof had to be removed completely, but it was replaced by the time football returned to normal in 1946. The blast also blew out four windows in the West Stand and covered the pitch with debris.
Post War reconstruction
With ever increasing crowds, the Board decided to announce plans of a £100,000 plan to reconstruct the ground over the following decade. The first phase was the remodelling of the terraces. The southern third of the East Terrace was rebuilt and combined with the “Chicken Run” during 1949 to create a new east enclosure, while new turnstiles and toilets were added all around the ground. The north-west corner was raised to accommodate an extra 2,000 spectators. The terracing of all standing areas was finally achieved in 1953. The old South Stand was lifted onto foundations laid behind new terracing during the summer of 1949, an operation financed by the sale of a promising young Albion player. Five years later, in 1954, the South Stand was completely rebuilt using the new foundations.
During the 1956-57 season the North Stand was extended to the full width of the pitch. The day after, Albion won the Third Division (South) championship in April 1958 the old West Stand was torn down, and the central third — or northern half, as it turned out because of the cost involved — of the present West Stand was erected in its place.
Largest crowd of 36,747
The largest crowd at the Goldstone was on the 27th of December 1958 when second-placed Fulham were beaten 3-0 before a crowd of 36,747. Brighton were now playing in the top flight, and to seat the ever increasing support, a temporary West Stand extension was erected in 1978 and provided 980 seats. The stand was sold to Worthing FC in 1985. In 1986 a family area was opened and a roof was added for the disabled area.
News of the sale
On July the 7th 1995 the Argus ran the headline ‘Seagulls Migrate’ on their front page, reporting on a leaked story that the Goldstone Ground had been sold and the Albion will be ground-sharing with rivals Portsmouth the next season. They also reported that the Board (Archer, Stanley and Bellotti) were planning to build a new ground at Waterhall which would be funded by the profits from a leisure development at Patcham Court Farm. The following day, The Argus revealed that Brighton Council rejected the plans at Patcham Court Farm two weeks previously.
The last game
The 26th of April 1997 will be remembered by Brighton fans as the last game at the Goldstone. On an emotional day, Dick Knight was unveiled as the new chairman of the club. Brighton needed a victory for any chance to stay in the league. In the 68th minute of the match, Stuart Storer volleyed into the south goal to send the Brighton fans into ecstasy. As the final whistle went for the very last time, fans grabbed seats, turf and other memorabilia for souvenirs. Brighton managed to stay in the league with a draw away to Hereford.
In its 96 years, the Goldstone admitted 22.9 million people at an average of 10,500 a game. Brighton won 1,194 out of the 2,174 matches played.
In November 1897 the first professional football club in Brighton and Hove, Brighton United, was formed. It competed in the Southern League at the County Cricket Ground in Hove from 1898, but the gates were poor and the club folded in 1900 before the end of its second season. Some enthusiasts then formed Brighton & Hove Rangers, an amateur club who played to the north of Brighton at Withdean. Rangers managed some excellent results against good opposition and secured a place in the Southern League for 1901-02, but then they too were forced to disband.
The indomitable John Jackson, the former manager of United, organised a meeting on 24 June 1901 at the Seven Stars Hotel, now O’Neills, in Ship Street at which a new, third club was formed. Brighton & Hove United took up the now-defunct Rangers’ place in the Southern League. Because of complaints by Hove F.C., serious local competition, the name was soon changed to Brighton & Hove Albion before a ball was kicked.
Playing in ‘fisherman’s-blue’ shirts and white ‘knickers’ at the Hove County Ground, the team challenged for promotion from the Second Division but fell away to finish third in their first season. A number of games were also played at Hove F.C.’s Goldstone Ground, and from 1902 the two clubs shared the arena. In 1904 the shirt changed to blue and white stripes, blue and white being traditional colours as befits a city which built its reputation on its seaside location.
A crowd picture from the match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Clapton Orient in February 1912.
A crowd picture from the match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Grimsby Town in September 1920.
Three all away draw to Liverpool. Fantastic result for the Seagulls. Woohoo!
As a child of the 70s and 80s, the choice of pastimes was somewhat limited. No computers or other gadgets to keep us entertained.
Staying at home, a bore. Being outside whatever the weather was our choice. Outside meant cycling and football, mainly football if I’m honest.
We played everyday, jackets and jumpers for goal posts, a tennis ball when no-one had a footie ball.
Football was our life, those were simpler days.
How many of us wear previous seasons’ shirts rather than the latest one. This is mine from the 2000’s, 2009 if I recall correctly.
Maybe it’s nostalgia. Who knows ?!?!?
The point of this blog, none really, an outlet to the world, show my love for footie and stumble out a few words.
Life can be hard, life can be troubled. Simple things can make the difference, to me it’s football and my beloved Brighton and Hove Albion.
To you, it could be another team, another sport or pastime, family or friends.
We all need, and deserve, simple pleasures.
In front of a crowd of over 5000 at the Amex Stadium the Seagulls beat Reading 2-1 in the Women’s Super League.
Goals by Lee Geum-Min and Katie Robinson took the Seagulls to victory.
An awesome result and an awesome crowd!
Welcome to The Seagulls, a fan site devoted to the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion FC!
More blog posts will follow shortly as we follow the footie adventure together!